start the day off Right w/Zap Mama, Kweli & Common

Man, my 2 year old daughter LOVES this song Yelling Away by Zap Mama w/Kweli and Common... I noticed her singing along (in broken toddler babble) recently in her baby seat...


A few years ago, me and khalid were tapped to do artwork for DJ Balance's The Re-Mixtape hosted by Posdonus and released by Spitkicker. That didn't work out, but I did get a copy of the record, which was stuffed top to bottom with dope collabos and remixes from the Spitkicker collective, which included such hip hop luminaries as Blackstar, De La Soul, and the mighty MF DOOM. Yelling Away is immediately followed by this Flying High Remix of the Blackstar classic Respiration, which is produced by Pete Rock, and guest stars Black Thought of the Roots. The two songs together soothe my daughter like David when he played the harp!

Anyways, I have listened to Yelling Away a million times, but I had never before heard of Zap Mama, a Belgian group founded and led by Marie Daulne, whose mission is to bring cultures together through music.
"What I would like to do is bring sounds from Africa and bring it to the Western world," says Daulne "because I know that through sound and through beats, that people discover a new culture, a new people, a new world."

"The voice is the original instrument." says Daulne. "- The primary instrument. The most soulful instrument is the human voice."

"I learned from my mother to be strong and to stay positive in any kind of situation; that's the best weapon to survive." says Daulne. "That's what I learned, and this is the main message I pass into my music..."
word. Like I said, I never heard of Zap Mama before today, but I'm definitely a fan now! I think I'm gonna cop Ancestry in Progress, the album she made while she lived in New York between 200-2004. Anyways, hope you enjoyed the music!
holla!
-samax.

2 comments:

@DwainIBe said...

'Yelling Away' is a very smooth joint! Nice.

Samax said...

word!

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here