Wow! I'm LOVING these STEVEN UNIVERSE comics from @BOOMstudios

I don't have cable, so I wasn't prepared for STEVEN UNIVERSE by steady streams of commercials, but it only took a few images for me to fall in love with Steven, the not-yet super powered member of the mighty Crystal Gems superhero quartet. Once I saw these preview pages for the new STEVEN UNIVERSE comics, let's just say I was hooked!

The sales pitch:

WHY WE LOVE IT: STEVEN UNIVERSE™ is a show that captured our hearts almost immediately. We’ve been fans of Rebecca Sugar’s from her work on ADVENTURE TIME for years and as the first lady to run her own show at Cartoon Network, we couldn’t wait to collaborate with her!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: A comic about a boy and his friends living in a small beach community, who just happens to have magical powers and fight monsters on the side?! Fans of ADVENTURE TIME and Sailor Moon are gonna dig this series presented in a zine-like format of mini-comics, recipes, games, and more!
WHAT IT’S ABOUT: Steven really wants to enter the annual Beach City Bike Race but everyone else is a little worried. Steven just makes the cut off for age, which means the other bikers will be a lot older than him. Connie agrees to help Steven the old-fashioned way through good ol’ exercise but Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl have other plans…


















Perfect! This looks great! Soooo... I went on a Steven Universe youTube binge...


 These videos above are from the pilot episode, and have fancier animation and more detailed character designs. I'd love to see them come back to this lush animation style for a feature length STEVEN UNIVERSE movie, maybe. We can see from the pilot that Garnet was always intended to be the team's resident bad-ass.


 The first thing I saw when I searched for Steven Universe on youTube was the song A Giant Woman, which comes from this episode, where Steven geeks out when Amethyst and Pearl hint that they can form a powerful amalgam persona. It's so silly, but I love it. Of course, I really prefer Steven's hip hop-flavored Cookie Cat Rap from the first episode, but that's just me.

We meet Steven's dad Greg Universe and even catch a glimpse of Steven's mom, the transcended to pure energy Rose Quartz, in the second part of this episode! Like Adventure Time, every moment of Steven Universe is vibrating with potential for fun and action. Steven's friends in the Crystal Gems have various body types, but each is brimming with feminine energy, which I'm sure inspires lots of saucy fan art. So, I officially love this show, now. I watched these episodes with my six 5.97808 year old, and she likes it too, so I'm gonna cop Season one on Amazon Instant video or something.
Okay, so anyways... about the comics. I love the color treatment Coleman Engle is using. Coleman's art takes great advantage of the character designs, which are equal parts Miyazaki and Matt Groening. . Steven Universe #1 came out in August, and Steven Universe #2 arrives in stores September 3rd. 

Peace,
-samax
Samax Amen draws people, places and things for fun and profit. He is the artist of many great comics you never heard of like Herman Heed, Champion of Children, The Brother and The World As You Know It. He even writes and draws his own comics, like Dare: The Adventures of Darius Davidson, Spontaneous, and Manchild when he gets around to it. Because making comics is hard and stuff, he started GhettoManga as a blog in 2006 and as a print magazine in 2008. 
GhettoManga.com 
comics. hiphop. news. art. culture

No comments:

This Post Brought to you by

Zero Killer TPB

This post brought to you by

This post brought to you by
Support GhettoManga + Save on Books = WIN

was that it? find it here